Joan Meyer chairs the North America Compliance & Investigations & Government Enforcement Practice Group. She has handled investigations and resolutions with enforcement authorities involving anti-corruption, government contracting and the false claims act and financial fraud for companies. Prior to joining the Firm, she was senior counsel to the Deputy Attorney General at the US Department of Justice, where she advised on corporate charging policies, corporate monitorships, and complex criminal litigation and corporate settlements. She also managed the operation of the President’s Corporate Fraud Task Force. Ms. Meyer was the First Assistant United States Attorney and Criminal Chief of the United States Attorney’s Office in the Western District of Michigan.
While working as a federal prosecutor, she was a recipient of two national awards for her successful prosecutions. Ms. Meyer also spent a number of years as a senior trial attorney at the Commodity Futures Trading Commission in Washington, DC where she filed injunctive actions in federal court and administrative actions against brokerage firms and brokers for a variety of solicitation and trading frauds connected to the commodities futures markets. She started her career as a criminal prosecutor in Chicago. Ms. Meyer has tried cases and argued numerous appeals in state and federal courts. As a part of Baker’s white collar defense practice, she has handled investigations and resolutions with enforcement authorities involving anti-corruption, government contracting and the false claims act and financial fraud for companies.
Ms. Meyer counsels on best practices for compliance with US and international legal requirements and regulations, and advises senior management and corporate audit committees on the formulation, conduct, and consequences of enforcement inquiries, including the development of appropriate defenses, disclosures, disciplinary actions and compliance policies. Ms. Meyer also co-chairs the Firm’s US-Mexico Cross-Border Initiative which sponsors a cross-border team of compliance specialists who advise and conduct internal investigations for international companies doing business in Latin America. She has advised and worked with companies in the manufacturing, life sciences, mining and extraction, financial services, transportation and logistics sectors to conduct global risk assessments, develop and implement compliance programs, create remediation plans and develop emergency/crisis management strategies.
Representative Legal Matters
View All »
- Led a large-scale internal investigation and negotiated a resolution with federal enforcement authorities alleging financial fraud by a mortgage industry company in connection with the electronic processing and document execution for loans in foreclosure.
- Managed a global anti-corruption investigation for a Fortune 100 manufacturing company involving activities of its agents and distributors.
- Represented a domestic financial institution and conducted an internal investigation involving ethical and internal policy violations by one of its business units.
- Advised in an internal investigation and enforcement resolution in connection with allegations of corruption by a freight forwarding company.
- Acted in a large-scale global internal investigation involving systemic breaches of the US FCPA in Latin America by a global food services company.
- Advised in a global anti-corruption internal investigation and related enforcement action for a manufacturer in Latin America.
- Retained by a technology company to conduct an expedited internal investigation and negotiation with the government to respond to allegations of false claims to the US government involving purportedly defective components.
- Advised a multinational life sciences company in due diligence, including extensive pre- and post-acquisition plans, for targets in the Asia Pacific.
- Advised multiple oil services companies on global compliance issues, conducted global training, and coordinated restructuring of third-party relationships under local law.
- Advised multiple companies and financial institutions on anti-money laundering risk management.
District of Columbia~United States (2015)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit~United States (2009)
Michigan~United States (1995)
U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (1986)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1986)
Illinois~United States (1985)
Loyola University, Chicago
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.