Grant Hanessian serves as global co-chair of the Firm’s International Arbitration Group. He chaired the Litigation Department of the Firm’s New York office from 2003 to 2012. Mr. Hanessian is the US alternate member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Paris, vice chairman of the Arbitration Committee of the US Council for International Business (US national committee of the ICC), and a member of the ICC’s Commission on Arbitration and its Task Forces on Arbitration Involving States or State Entities and on Financial Institutions and International Arbitration (leader of Investment Arbitration and Banking & Finance work stream). He is also a member of the American Arbitration Association—International Centre for Dispute Resolution’s International Advisory Committee and its Advisory Committee on Brazil, the International Arbitration Club of New York, the Arbitration Committee of the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution, the New York City Bar Association's Committee on International Commercial Disputes and Club Español del Arbitraje, and is a founding board member of the New York International Arbitration Center.
Mr. Hanessian is editor of ICDR Awards and Commentaries, Vol I (Juris Pub. 2012) and Vol II (forthcoming Juris Pub. 2015), International Arbitration Checklists (Juris Pub., 2nd ed., 2008), Gulf War Claims Reporter (ILI/Kluwer, 1998) and Baker & McKenzie's International Litigation & Arbitration Newsletter. He has authored more than 40 articles and book chapters and spoken at conferences and universities worldwide on international dispute resolution topics. He is recommended by Chambers Global and USA ("very experienced, hugely knowledgeable and effective” “powerful advocate for clients"), Legal 500 ("a great practitioner" with a "strong commercial profile"), PLC Which Lawyer, The International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration and Expert Guide to Leading Practitioners in International Arbitration ("Best of the Best" in international commercial arbitration).
Mr. Hanessian has more than 25 years of experience as counsel and arbitrator in disputes concerning contract, investment treaty, energy, construction, commodities, financial services, insurance, intellectual property and other matters before virtually all of the world’s major arbitration institutions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing investors and states in arbitrations concerning claims under bilateral and multilateral investment treaties.
- Representing South American energy company in New York arbitrations concerning engineering, construction and other contractual matters.
- Representing US company in Panama arbitration concerning contractual disputes with South American parties.
- Representing a US subsidiary of a French company in arbitrations and domestic court actions concerning EPC contracts for ethanol projects.
- Representing a Taiwanese railway company in a Singapore arbitration regarding a contract to provide trains for high-speed railway in Taiwan.
- Representing Korean manufacturer of semiconductor equipment in New York arbitration and subsequent US bankruptcy proceedings concerning joint development and sales agreement.
- Representing Asian government in arbitration and domestic court actions regarding contractual disputes relating to bond offering.
- Representing Egypt in a dispute regarding workers remittances from Iraq before the United Nations Compensation Commission.
- Represented numerous companies in claims against Iran before the Iran-US Claims Tribunal and claims against Iraq before the United Nations Compensation Commission.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- American Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- International Council for Commercial Arbitration
- International Chamber of Commerce
- American Arbitration Association-International Centre for Dispute Resolution
- London Court of International Arbitration
New York~United States (1986)
New York University
University of Pennsylvania
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.