Effie Silva has broad experience in complex commercial litigation and arbitration. Ms. Silva concentrates her practice on a range of complex federal, state and international cases involving contracts, commercial fraud, corporate governance, real estate, corporate dissolutions, enforcement of foreign judgments and injunctions, media, insurance coverage disputes, employment, products liability and mass tort litigation. She serves on the Board of Directors of The American Inns of Court, Spellman-Hoeveler Chapter. She has been consistently recognized by Super Lawyers as a Top Lawyer in business litigation and has been ranked among Florida’s Legal Elite by Florida Trend. Ms. Silva holds the highest rating of "AV Preeminent" from Martindale-Hubbell for her legal ability and ethical standards. The Daily Business Review recognized her as the “Most Effective Lawyer 2012 in Pro Bono” for her work on the G.G. v. FDLE case.
Ms. Silva’s practice focuses on international, cross-border, and commercial litigation and arbitration.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representation of major multinational Hispanic media companies in related shareholders disputes and derivative actions pending in state and federal courts in South Florida.
- Representation of Chinese manufacturers and German affiliate companies in complex multidistrict consumer products class action litigation involving product defect claims related to building materials imported into the US from China.
- Trial and appellate counsel for large Brazilian financial institution, involving the denial of motion for reinstatement after earlier dismissal of claims by US court on forum non conveniens grounds.
- Favorably settled on matters involving negligent procurement and breach of fiduciary duty claims against a marine insurance broker.
- Represented Spanish-language television talent in various contract, copyright, licensing, and litigation matters.
- Successfully defended a residential condominium developer from class action litigation arising from pre-construction contractual disputes and other issues arising out of the real estate development process.
- Favorable representation of a developer of domestic and international electric power generating projects in an international arbitration proceeding arising out of termination of Brazilian power generation agreement.
- Successfully represented a large Taiwanese manufacturer in a breach of contract action against a United States company for failure to comply with payment obligations with respect to purchase of custom designed toy products.
- Successful representation of major domestic and global insurance market participants in significant coverage and extra-contractual claims.
- Favorable settlement of matters involving shareholder derivative and breach of fiduciary duty claims on behalf of a telecommunications company.
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell, 2012
- “Most Effective Lawyer 2012” in the Pro Bono Category, Daily Business Review, 2012
- Top Up and Comer in Commercial Litigation and Arbitration, South Florida Legal Guide, 2013
- Florida "Rising Star," Super Lawyers magazine, 2009 - Present
- Florida Legal Elite "Up and Comer," Florida Trend magazine, 2008 - Present
- 40 under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade County Award from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2012
- "South Florida Women Extraordinaire," Business Leader, 2011
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Inns of Court, Spellman-Hoeveler Chapter - Board of Directors
- Legal Services of Greater Miami - Member of the Board of Directors appointed by the Dade County Bar Association
- American Bar Association - Council for Racial and Ethnic Diversity in the Educational Pipleline, Council Member
- American Bar Association - International Law Section, Latin American & Caribbean Committee - Vice Chair
- American Bar Association - Section of International Law, Steering Group, International Litigation Committee
- American Bar Association - Section of International Law - Member, Steering Group, International Arbitration
- American Bar Association - Section of Litigation, Member Strategic Planning and Implementation Task Force
- American Bar Association - Section of Litigation, Member, Marketing & Membership Committee
- Beacon Council - Member, International Advisory Committee
- Legal Services of Greater Miami - Leadership Committee Member, "Together We Must" Campaign for Justice
- Florida Bar - Member
- Miami-Dade County Bar Association - Member
- Hispanic National Bar Association - Member
- Florida International Bankers Association (FIBA) - Member
Corporate Social Responsibility
- Committee Member, Legal Services of Greater Miami’s “Together, We Must" Campaign for Justice
- Chair, Young/Legal Professionals Host Committee for the annual “Raise the Bar” fundraiser
- International Advisory Committee Member, Beacon Council
District of Columbia~United States (2004)
Florida~United States (2003)
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida~United States (2003)
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida~United States (2003)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida~United States (2003)
University of Florida
(B.A. International Relations)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.