Daniel Goelzer is a Washington, DC-based partner in the Firm’s Banking, Finance and Major Projects Group. He became a partner in 1990, after seven years as General Counsel of the Securities and Exchange Commission. In 2002, Mr. Goelzer was appointed by the SEC as a founding member of the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, the body responsible for oversight and regulation of independent auditors of US public companies and securities broker-dealers. He served as Acting PCAOB Chairman from August 2009 through January 2011, leaving the Board upon conclusion of his term in 2012. He resumed his Baker & McKenzie partnership in 2013.
Mr. Goelzer has authored numerous articles concerning federal securities law topics. He currently prepares a monthly newsletter, Audit Committee and Auditor Oversight Update.
Mr. Goelzer advises clients on issues of securities law disclosure and compliance, corporate governance matters, and the regulation and oversight of auditors. He also counsels global custodian banks and other financial institutions with respect to financial services regulation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Chairs a council that advises on audit quality issues for a major international accounting firm.
- Drafted publications on internal control over financial reporting and on PCAOB inspections for an association of public accounting firms.
- Participated in the formation of the Association of Global Custodians, served as the Association’s counsel and secretary, and represented the Association in connection with regulatory matters, including amendments to SEC Rule 17f-5.
- Represented individuals and companies in SEC enforcement investigations, including matters involving alleged financial reporting violations, insider trading, and brokerage firm responsibilities.
- Served as an expert witness on securities law matters and brokerage firm responsibilities.
- Served as a compliance reviewer pursuant to SEC and self-regulatory organization enforcement orders.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Corporate Directors - Member, Board of Directors
- National Association of Corporate Directors - Treasurer, National Capital Area Chapter
- SEC Historical Society - Member, Board of Trustees
- SEC Historical Society - Chair, Museum Committee
- Federal Bar Association - Member and Former Chair, Securities Law Executive Committee
- American Bar Association - Member, Committee on Federal Regulation of Securities
- American Law Institute - Member
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants - Member
District of Columbia~United States (1980)
U.S. Supreme Court~United States (1976)
Wisconsin~United States (1973)
George Washington University
University of Wisconsin Law School
(J.D. magna cum laude)
University of Wisconsin
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.