Chris Hughes is a partner in the Yangon office of Baker & McKenzie. Chris specialises in mergers and acquisitions, joint venture, and commercial transactions across a range of sectors, with a particular focus on energy and infrastructure matters.
Chris has a broad commercial practice with particular experience in the energy, mining and infrastructure sectors. His practice is Myanmar focused and he is based permanently in Yangon. He has assisted on many significant international transactions for corporate, financial and government clients. He began with Baker & McKenzie in Sydney in 2000, worked with Clifford Chance from 2004 to 2007, returning to Baker & McKenzie in 2008. He relocated to Yangon in late 2013 to lead our office there.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising on the reform and privatisation of the NSW Energy Industry.
- Advising major utility and financial clients on the acquisition and disposal of various Australian and European wind farm assets.
- Advising a leading automotive company on the disposal of a manufacturing subsidiary.
- Advising on a range of corporate, securities, foreign investment, compliance, trade and finance matters.
- Acting for a leading Australian property group on the acquisition of its UK and European property fund and development businesses.
- Acting for a global private equity house on the first public to private transaction of a FTSE 100 entity.
- Acting for an international energy consortium on the acquisition and financing of an international power generation portfolio.
- Acting for a European infrastructure company on the acquisition of an international airport portfolio.
- Acting for a European bank on a twin track process for the sale of its UK financial services and funds management business.
- Advising on the nationalisation of a major UK financial institution.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Law Society of New South Wales
England & Wales~United Kingdom (2006)
New South Wales~Australia (2001)
Australian National University
Baker & McKenzie Yangon is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein