Christopher Burkett has extensive courtroom advocacy experience, having appeared before various tribunals, at all levels of trial court, and the Court of Appeal for Ontario. Prior to joining Baker & McKenzie LLP, he was an Assistant Crown Attorney at the Ministry of the Attorney General, where he was the lead prosecutor in numerous trials. Mr. Burkett also worked as an associate with a leading litigation boutique, where he was counsel on matters involving administrative tribunals, judicial review applications, injunctions, trials, and appeals.
In 2007, Mr. Burkett was a visiting Fox Scholar in legal advocacy at the Middle Temple, Inn of Court, London, UK. As a Fox Scholar, he worked in leading sets of barrister’s chambers and completed the Middle Temple’s intensive advocacy program.
In 2005, Mr. Burkett also participated in the Washington, DC Public Defender Office's criminal law internship program.
Mr. Burkett has a broad litigation and advocacy practice, with a specific focus on labour and employment law, administrative and public law, professional discipline, corporate anti-bribery compliance, and criminal matters.
In addition, he provides strategic labour, employment, and corporate compliance advice to both domestic and international private and public sector clients. He advises and represents clients on labour arbitrations, human rights claims, wrongful dismissals, white collar criminal law matters, and internal investigations, including multijurisdictional investigations arising from alleged non-compliance with Canada's Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act and the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Representative Legal Matters
View All »
- Represented the Commissioner of the OPP in an appeal from the dismissal of an application for judicial review concerning allegations of bias against a tribunal adjudicator during a police disciplinary hearing. See: Ontario (Commissioner, Provincial Police) v. MacDonald, 2009 ONCA 805.
- Defended an individual charged with violating section 6(1) of Canada's Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. See: R. v. Persaud, 2012 ONSC 4439
- Defended a gynaecological surgeon accused of medical malpractice. See: Cordick v. Bologna, 2010 ONSC 3607.
- Represented the intervenor, Toronto Police Services Board in an application for judicial review by the Toronto Police Association of a decision by the Civilian Commission to refrain from conducting a public inquiry. See: Toronto Police Association v. Ontario (Civilian Commission on Police Services), 2010 ONSC 246 (Div. Crt.).
- Respresented the respondent on an application for judicial review concerning the admissibility of a confession in respect of illegal performance-enhancing drug use in the horse racing industry. See: Ontario (Racing Commission) v. Hudon,  O.J. No. 5313 (Div. Crt.).
- Acted for Xerox Canada in bringing a motion for a labour injunction preventing a supplier’s employees from blockading the removal of Xerox equipment from its supplier’s plant. Xerox Canada v. Meridian Automotive Systems,  ONSC (settled).
- Led the prosecution in a trial involving allegations of child sexual assault. R.v. K.S., 2011 ONCJ (unreported)
- Led the prosecution in a trial involving significant corporate fraud. R. v. M.B., 2010 ONCJ. (unreported)
- Represented a unioized public sector employer at a grievance arbitration hearing relating to a termination of employment involving the employer's duty to accommodate and significant medical evidence.
- Represented an Ontario University at the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario in defending an employment-related discrimination claim.
- Albert Allmark award for leadership, dedication, and excellence in athletic and academic endeavours, Queen's University, 2003
- Ontario Volunteer Service Award for commitment and dedicated service to a non-profit group, 2007
- Baker & McKenzie Pro Bono Service Award, 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Criminal Lawyers' Association - Member
- Law Society of Upper Canada - Member
- Ontario Bar Association - Executive Member of the Criminal Justice Section
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- The Advocates Society - Member
University of Windsor
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.