Baker & McKenzie's taxation practice focuses on advising multinational corporations on all tax and duty aspects of corporate, financial and commercial transactions, as well as more general taxation strategies. Our Australian team are seamlessly integrated with Baker & McKenzie’s global tax practice therefore clients requiring international assistance can access the resources of our global platform and receive a truly multi-jurisdictional approach to tax.
The Group offers a comprehensive level of service, with a focus on areas relevant to multinational companies and cross border investment. We are one of the few law firms in the Australian market able to advise on all aspects of income tax (including transfer pricing), stamp duty, GST and employment taxes. Our areas of focus include mergers and acquisitions, group restructures, structured financial products, private wealth management, property transactions and REITs.
Some headline commercial matters in which we have acted are:
- Archer Daniels Midland on its proposed A$3 billion acquisition of Graincorp.
- NSW Government on its electricity privatisation.
- OTPP on its acquisition of the NextGen, Metronode and Infoplex telecommunications divisions of Leighton Holdings Limited.
- Major energy company on the stamp duty implications of its interests in A$24 billion APLNG project.
- Major telecommunications client on its arrangements with NBN Co.
- Federal Government regarding its Contracts for Closure program for coal-powered electricity generation stations.
- Acquisition of a majority interest in the Transfield Services Infrastructure Fund by Ratchaburi Generating Holding Company.