Baker & McKenzie's taxation practice advises domestic and international clients on all aspects of corporate, financial and commercial transactions, as well as taxation strategies. Our lawyers act on behalf of many of Australia's largest corporations and international clients. For clients requiring international assistance, the group can draw on the resources of Baker & McKenzie's global platform and receive a truly multi-jurisdictional approach to tax.
Our lawyers have experience across the wide range of Australian taxes, including corporate income tax, transfer pricing, goods and services tax, stamp duty, and customs and excise tax. Our practice also includes tax litigation. We are ranked:
- Tier 1 in the International Tax Review Survey of tax advisers on international transactions.
- Recommended in Chambers Global, Practical Law Company – Which Lawyer?, Asia Pacific Legal 500 and Tax Directors Handbook
Achieving our clients' objectives requires working closely with the revenue authorities. We also work closely with both Federal and State Governments in Australia to provide input into the development of taxation legislation and taxation administration in Australia. This becomes ever more important in troubled times, when government plays a bigger role in business affairs.
Our partners are active on a number of committees of the Taxation Institute of Australia, the Property Council of Australia and Infrastructure Partnerships Australia. We have applied our legal skills on a pro bono basis working for a range of charitable and community organisations, including the Asylum Seekers Centre, Ronald McDonald House, Hammond Care and the Jewish Learning Centre.
Some headline commercial matters in which we have acted are:
- Hospira, Inc AUD2.65 billion takeover of Mayne Pharma
- Goodman Group AUD1 billion Australian capital raising
- McDonalds successful defeat of stamp duty assessments
- BNP Paribas AUD1.6 billion leveraged total return swap with an AMP wholesale fund
- Embraer Virgin Blue's AUD950 million acquisition of a fleet of Embraer "E Jets"
- Pacific Equity Partners AUD1 billion acquisition of 100% equity in Veda Advantage
- Tupperware AUD556 million leveraged acquisition of Nutrametics business.