Anthony Poon practices mainly in the area of dispute resolution and he has substantial experience in commercial and insurance litigation, as well as insolvency, defamation and media liability matters. He also handles corporate disputes, corporate governance and corporate compliance matters. Ranked by Chambers Asia Pacific and PLC Which lawyer? as a leading lawyer in the field of dispute resolution, Mr. Poon frequently advises clients on directors & officers liability, media liability, insolvency, insider dealing, fraud prevention and corporate compliance, as well as anti-bribery and corruption investigation, and banking fraud issues.
Mr. Poon’s practice focuses on joint venture disputes and corporate compliance matters, including anti-bribery and anti-money laundering, product liability and defamation cases. In Hong Kong, he also does extensive work in general commercial litigation, including insurance and trust litigation, corporate governance and directors’ liabilities, shareholder disputes, insolvency, media liability and defamation, property litigation and regulatory and enforcement aspects under the Securities and Futures Ordinance of Hong Kong.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented and advised a number of leading newspapers in Hong Kong; defended media companies against prosecution under the Control of Obscene and Indecent Articles Ordinance; prosecuted and defended libel and related claims against leading newspapers and magazines.
- Advised and defended an institutional trustee on the validity of trust schemes and trustee’s liability under discretionary trusts.
- Represented both creditors and debtors in winding up and bankruptcy situations, scheme of arrangement and corporate restructuring; advised liquidators in compulsory and voluntary winding up cases and on the recovery of assets; defending claims by liquidators on behalf of corporations and individuals.
- Acted for many major local and foreign banks in Hong Kong to recover loans; advised on fraud committed by employees and recovery of assets; and counseled on banking ordinance, compliance and discovery issues.
- Representing Hong Kong and overseas clients in intellectual property rights disputes and act in enforcement proceedings.
- Together with Firm lawyers in the US, representing a German company with plants and factories in various parts of China during a product liability class action.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Society of Notaries
High Court of Australia~Australia (1991)
Australian Capital Territory~Australia (1991)
England & Wales~United Kingdom (1989)
Hong Kong (1981)
The University of Hong Kong
The University of Hong Kong
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.